My Books & Articles
My first book was described as ‘a breath of fresh air… offering often overlooked insights into what gaming can indeed be about’. Powering Up: are computer games changing our lives? is published by Wiley and examines the latest evidence into how computer games affect our health, thinking, learning, identity, beliefs, and propensity for violence or addiction.
A reviewer on Amazon.com kindly said: ‘I wish more authors would produce concise to the point books like this. Highly recommended.’
I’ve also written Global Pollution, a title which uses news stories and the latest research to explore environmental issues. With profiles of scientists from around the world, the book is part of a series called 21st Century Science aimed at readers aged 11+.
For 1001 Inventions: The Enduring Legacy of Muslim Civilization, I updated and wrote new features in each chapter for the Third Edition, and I edited 1001 Inventions and Awesome Facts from Muslim Civilization for 1001 Inventions and National Geographic.
I started freelancing as a science writer while doing my degree in physics and masters in Science Communication at Imperial College London. As well as my books, I’ve written science and technology articles for the Sunday Times, Flipside, She, Candis, Practical Parenting and even Sunday Times Travel.
I contribute regularly to Engineering and Technology Magazine, writing recently about Magna Carta and the digitisation of the legal system, on flood defences, and for E&T’s espionage issue. I interviewed Tom Karen, veteran designer, on the 40th anniversary of Ogle, the company he ran so successfully. I’ve also contributed to Futurelab’s Vision magazine, writing about computer games and education.
I am a member of the Association of British Science Writers.
Türkiye Drama Konferansı Turkey drama conference
- My podcasts from the Edinburgh Fringe, plus articles and interviews
- Editing text for stories and secrets in the RSC's refurbished Swan Bar
- 1001 Inventions' award-winning exhibition and film continue global tour
- Sizzling story-led labels for Kew Gardens' plants and trees
- Metroland to McVities: Brent's brilliant people and stories in its new museum
- An eye for 'gorgeous' design: my profile of veteran designer Tom Karen
- Taking to the airwaves with science experts at BBC Scotland
- Universe of Sound exhibition travels to Canterbury and Birmingham
- Text-writing for Peterborough Museum's refurbished Jurassic and Ice Age galleries